2nd Deployment 2012-2013 IS NOW COMPLETE!

.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Finally Here

So yeah, finally here. Fob Fenty Afghanistan. It gets 20 degrees hotter here than where I was, thanks to the mountains and lower elevation.

They say when God finished making the world, he took all the left over rocks and dumped them in Afghanistan. From what I've seen, it's true.

Managed to snag a helicopter ride here, was a nice view as he went up and over the mountains, then some more mountains, then some more mountains.

I don't have the words to describe what I've seen thus far, only that it's very different from what we call civilization. Seeing buildings (I use the word loosely, but they are not huts by any means) made out of rock and earth in little clusters along the river where the ground is fertile and flat enough as the rivers cut through the mountains.

Getting settled in over the next few days, already starting my assignments.

2 comments:

  1. Son,
    I am so glad that you have arrived at your FOB. I hope you will get settled in soon and adjust to your new surroundings quickly.

    The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies.

    [horn = strength]

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your support! Comments are moderated and will appear after approval.